Sunday, October 21, 2012

Caiden's sleeping habits...

...or lack thereof.

We are still struggling to get Caiden on a sleep schedule of any sort. I know it's early and a lot of my friends say it really doesn't work until they are at least 3 months old but I just keep hoping I go to sleep one night and not wake up until 5 or 6. We've been trying to get him down by 7pm, which is totally doable unless we go out to dinner or something, and he will usually fall asleep by 8pm. He then typically wakes up around 11, which is about 5 hours since he last ate, so that's not too bad. But then he wakes up again at around 2 or 3 and then again around 5 or 6...which just seems way too much. A few people have told us that since he weighs so much that he probably doesn't really need to be eating at that 2/3am wake up call, that we could just change him and put him back down and that eventually he won't wake up anymore. Or he'll wake up but then maybe just fuss a bit then fall back asleep and we don't even need to go in there. People are saying that he's just used to eating every 3 hours during the day so at night he's expecting the same thing but doesn't necessarily need it. So we'll see, maybe we'll try to trick him at the 2/3am wake up call. My only concern is that I'll try to do it and after 30 minutes of struggling to get him to fall asleep I just feed him anyway...and then I just wasted 30 minutes of golden sleep. I am just so exhausted when he's getting up this often and feel like a zombie all day long. OH, and I swear all you people out there telling me your 10 week old is sleeping through the night...I'm pretty sure you are lying to me ;)

One thing is for sure. He loves to sleep in our bed. Marc gets up around 6:30 so when Caiden wakes up around the 6/7am time I will usually bring him in our bed and then he sleeps like a champ. Sometimes he'll sleep for another 2 or 3 hours, until 10 or 11am. And I'll sleep right along with him!

Nice and comfy on Daddy's side of the bed
***UPDATE: Last night he woke up at 12:15 (and he ate about 3 hours before that) and we tried to give him the paci and calm him back to sleep, it worked...for about 15 minutes until he woke up again at 12:40 and we tried it again, then woke up again at 1:20 and we tried it again, then woke up at 1:45 and tried it again. Finally at 2am when I was so exhausted and just lost almost 2 hours of prime sleep I gave in and fed him.

My girlfriend Davida said it well, "There is exhausted and then really exhausted and it's totally not worth being really exhausted." She has a 10 month old that still isn't sleeping through the night and getting up every 3-4 hours and she has just accepted the fact that her kid isn't going to sleep through the night.

1 comment:

  1. Before you know it, he'll be sleeping all night and you won't know what to do with yourself! Hang in there...I promise it will happen eventually! It took both of my girls until about six months to officially sleep through the night.

    ReplyDelete